Trip to the Holy Lands - 1st day

2/17/2009 01:20:00 PM / Posted by Mike Landry /


Our group of 39 people (some from Sarasota, FL, some from Columbia, SC, and some from Tennessee) have arrived in Amman, Jordan to sunny skies and about 55 degrees. What a warm and cheery welcome to a bunch of weary travelers. For those of us who departed from Sarasota, it's been a 24 hour adventure before we landed in Amman. And how about this...not a single lost bag. That's a huge victory. It always helps knowing you have arrived with your clothes, snacks, meds, etc.

We arrived at our hotel and had a great dinner and are all delighted that the next thing on the agenda is sleeping in a bed instead of a tight airline seat with the seat in front of you in your lap.

I couldn't be more excited about this trip. For a Christian, this trip is one of a kind. As my dear friend, Bill Hild (a fellow tour host and pastor) says, "A trip to the Holy Land is like a year of Seminary training." Not only will we walk where Moses, Elijah, Jesus, and Peter walked but all of our senses will engage with the Scripture while here. It's amazing how both the Old Testament and New Testament come alive when you travel here.

Before I wrap this up and go to bed I thought I'd highlight two observations since arriving:

1. The people here in Jordan have been so friendly and hospitable. In fact, the tour personnel and hotel employees make it a point to pay attention to detail. I've had at least 4 people welcome me with a "it's good to see you again pastor Mike." It's been a year since I last met these people. What a great example of how to treat people. I thought about how diligent and proactive I should be when meeting and greeting and genuinely caring about people.

2. While driving from the airport to the hotel, we heard the "call to prayer" that is sounded out from the many mosques within the city. I thought about the millions of people who hear that sound and take time to pray in this city. I wondered what kind of sound will be necessary to get Christians to pray for our world, our nation, our neighbors, and our families. I wondered why a nation like ours (USA) seeks to distance itself from any appearance of a need for God. I wonder what it will take to get us to humble ourselves and turn back to the God our forefathers unapologetically gave credit to for the foundation and establishment of our nation.

So much for wondering. Time to hit the sack. Will try to report in each evening with highlights of the trip. See you then.

Labels: , , ,

1 comments:

Comment by Unknown on February 17, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Daddy! I am so glad you landed and are all safe! No bags lost huh? Well, sounds like your trip is off on a better foot than ours was! :) I'm sure you are having fun!! I miss you all and love you very much! Sorry I missed your call, I was babysitting and my phone was off. I will be more aware from now on. Stay safe! Have fun in PETRA!!!

Post a Comment