Forty Days

6/15/2009 12:01:00 PM / Posted by Mike Landry /


Every time I hear the words “forty days” I’m immediately struck with the thought that this may mean a little more than just another 960 hours. I think it’s because there are a number of occasions in the Scripture when that number is used.

The Bible says that it rained “forty days and forty nights” after Noah and his crew entered the ark. It also says that Jesus was fasting in the wilderness for forty days and nights just before Satan tempted Him. On another occasion, Moses was fasting and alone with God on Mt. Sinai for “forty days and forty nights” as he was receiving the Ten Commandments and instructions about the covenant from God.

So, why do I bring this up now? BECAUSE IN 40 DAYS MY DAUGHTER GETS MARRIED! There…now that that is off my chest I don’t feel like I need to shout anymore.

With 40 days until that special day, I’m flooded with many thoughts that perhaps you can identify with…that is, if you’re a Dad. Indulge me for a moment as I list these things therapeutically.

• I thank God that I am a father to two terrific daughters and a son. When I think of my childhood, I am amazed that God would entrust me with them…good thing I married an angel to help raise them.

• I thank God for the many things I have learned about myself and about God through my kids. His long-suffering, His mercy, His unconditional investments in my life, His love, etc. My impatience, my self-centeredness, my fears, and my conditional love.

• I thank God that I now know how to be cool because of the outspokenness of my kids. Of course, sometimes I choose not to be cool because that’s even cooler.

• I thank God for the many adventures that have been mine because I’m a dad. I think about how boring life would’ve been without them.

• I thank God for the different seasons of parenting…with their unique challenges…with their unique joys. I’m also reminded how unprepared and naïve I’ve been at each stage. I am so glad God has promised to give us parenting grace when we needed it.

• I thank God for children who have tried their best to understand this dad. I am unpredictable and very flawed and they have met the challenge with their flexibility, love, creativity, forgiveness, and loyalty.

• I thank God for an incredible wife who has taught and modeled for my kids how to live life graciously, joyfully, deliberately, and relationally. She doesn’t know it but I was learning from her too.

As a dad…I am so very blessed!

Labels:

0 comments:

Post a Comment