A Most Amazing Christmas Present

12/29/2009 08:22:00 AM / Posted by Mike Landry /


I received the most incredible Christmas present from my kids this year. It began as a scavenger hunt with many clues. Fortunately, my kids helped me figure out what the clues meant.

The final clue pointed me to my bookshelf in my study. It said to look for something bright blue. They were referring to a book on the top shelf.

When pulling the book off the shelf, I was a bit puzzled by what I saw. I had never seen the book before and it had the title of a sermon series that I had preached a little over a year ago – Prayer Biographies. I said, “What a coincidence.”

They told me to thumb through the book and look at it. I looked first at the table of contents. Another strange coincidence. The chapters looked a lot like the individual sermon titles I had used before. Hmm.

Finally, when my kids couldn’t stand it anymore…they blurted out that it was my book.

My three children and their three spouses had each taken a sermon and transcribed it as they listened to it. Then they personally edited the chapter and then passed it on to another sibling for more editing. Finally, they had the book published and secured some endorsements from some of my spiritual mentors and heroes.

I couldn’t believe it. They had been encouraging me to write for years and told me that this should give me a jump start.

Talk about a huge investment of time, energy, and creativity. I was overwhelmed by this amazing demonstration of love and sacrifice.

I just had to take this moment and share with all of you how proud I am to be the father of incredible kids.

Thanks for indulging me with this very personal blog entry.

And special thanks goes to my kids:

Jason and Amanda Landry
Steve and Beth Browning
Nathan and Michelle Schneider

Labels: , , ,

1 comments:

Lou Ann Irby Willis on January 8, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Dear Mike,

This post comes as no surprise to those who have known you and Cindy from our earlier years. Your children and their spouses are simply reflecting the love, compassion, care and understanding and your unconditional Love and Faith for and in our Savior.

You are a teacher and an ardent follower of Jesus Christ and all of us who have walked through this life having met you and Cindy are stronger in our faith and walk. This gift that your beautiful family bestowed upon you is that "Reflection" of God's Love and His Sacrifice for each of us as we look towards Home living each day rejoicing!

In your former Blog Mike you spoke of giving away your baby daughter as she wed this past summer, and how becoming a grandfather seems a bit frightening to you. Do not fear my friend, you and Cindy will not only love the job but I can assure you that you will love it! We do!

Your children that gave you such an amazing present this Christmas will give even further as they someday become parents. You will see God's perfect plan: You will see the faces of children you remember (your own), you will hear little voices that remind you of the innocence of youth, gestures that may resemble yours or your Dad's, or Cindy's parents, and you will know what it is to love at a whole new level, a gift that you will love!

As Dr. Bill Bright once told me, "Go forward knowing that God has much to teach us, live for every moment, and rejoice in all things known and yet unknown!"

Always in Him, With Him, And Love for All,

Lou Ann Irby Willis

National Public Relations, Christian Television
Christian Audio and Film Administrator
United States AIr Force Military Ministries

Post a Comment