“In Turbulent Times You Can Trust God’s Word”

3/13/2012 07:57:00 AM / Posted by Mike Landry /


            Nobody in his or her right mind looks forward to turbulent times.  But turbulent times are inevitable.  You are going to struggle with financial, health, relationship, social, educational, and job issues.  It’s an inseparable part of living life.  In fact, oftentimes you will have absolutely no control over these things and you will feel like a walking bulls-eye.  The darts will keep hitting you and you will wonder if there will ever be any relief.

            And, what’s to keep you from giving up or going into a tailspin that you can’t pull out of?  What’s to keep you from getting sour or bitter?  In fact, when God doesn’t protect you from suffering, what’s to keep you from concluding that God hates you?

            That’s where God’s Word, the Bible, comes in.  God is not going keep you from all suffering but He has promised to sustain us and comfort us during those times.  However, it’s at those times that we are so tempted to ignore Him and look for any other kind of relief. 

            Because of our tendency to try and weather the storms of life on our own, I thought I’d take the time to remind us both how God has promised to use His Word to help us during turbulent times.

1.    God’s Word refreshes you when you are on empty.

Psalms 119:25 (NASB) My soul cleaves to the dust; revive me according to Your word.

2.    God’s Word comforts you when you are hurting.

Psalms 119:52 (NASB) I have remembered Your ordinances from of old, O LORD, and comfort myself.


3.    God’s Word will warn you when you’re tempted to abandon God’s best.

Psalms 119:11 (NASB) Your word I have treasured in my heart, that I may not sin against You.


4.    God’s Word will be a course correction map when you take a wrong turn.

Psalms 119:67 (NASB) Before I was afflicted I went astray, But now I keep Your word.


5.    God’s Word will shed light on decisions you struggle with.

Psalms 119:105 (NASB) Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.

Psalms 119:130 (NASB) The unfolding of Your words gives light; It gives understanding to the simple.

                                                                                                        
6.    God’s Word will give you courage when you’re tempted to run.

Joshua 1:7 (NASB) "Only be strong and very courageous; be careful to do according to all the law which Moses My servant commanded you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, so that you may have success wherever you go.


7.    God’s Word will give you strength when you don’t think you can go on.

Isaiah 40:31 (NASB) Yet those who wait for the LORD Will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary.


         Now don’t you think it’s about time to spend some time in God’s Word!



0 comments:

Post a Comment