Spiritual Cruise Control Button

3/18/2009 10:44:00 AM / Posted by Mike Landry /


Entering into a personal and intimate relationship with Jesus Christ is really not that difficult. That’s because you were made by God, for God. It is His desire that you and I know Him intimately. John 17:3 even defines eternal life relationally rather than numerically. It says,

“This is eternal life: that they may know You, the only true God, and the One You have sent—Jesus Christ.”


The excitement and joy you experience when entering into this kind of relationship is undeniable. New Christians are so refreshing to be around for that very reason. The passion and lifestyle associated with a life in relationship with Jesus Christ is contagious. But isn’t it amazing how quickly we will judge this kind of experience and outward demonstration as evidence of immaturity or shallowness…especially when we haven’t felt that way for quite some time?

Instead of pursuing God we begin to pursue spiritual knowledge. In our quest to go deeper and know Him more intimately we often substitute the critical elements of a relationship with God for simply the facts about God. In my conversations with others, I find this to be typical of everyone’s experience including my own. I personally find it as easy as triggering a cruise control button on my car's steering wheel. After I hit the button, I’m still heading in what appears to be the same direction but find my heart and passion for God becoming incrementally a bit cooler and harder. I'm not as focused as I was after I push the button.

A. W. Tozer said,
We have substituted theological ideas for an arresting encounter; we are full of religious notions, but our great weakness is that for our hearts there is no one there…The spiritual giants of old were men who at some time became acutely conscious of the real Presence of God and maintained that consciousness for the rest of their lives.(God’s Pursuit of Man)

Can I make a suggestion?

Today, in your pursuit of God, go beyond a simple knowledge of the facts.

  • Ask God to make you sensitive to His presence.
  • Take time to listen to God.
  • Look for His fingerprints and activity all around you.
  • Let the facts about God that you glean from the Scriptures trigger a pursuit of God.
  • Choose to relate to God rather than simply be content with more information about God.

Then, at the end of the day, jot down what you saw and learned. Thank God for revealing Himself and ask Him again for "eyes to see and ears to hear" Him again. You won't regret it. I know I won't.

Labels: , , ,

1 comments:

Comment by Eugene Hor on April 3, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Totally agree with you Mike - we need to give more time to silence and solitude in the ministry. Been reading Life Together by Bonhoeffer recently and the chapter on silence, solitude and meditation reflects this too.

in Him, eugene
www.thereformission.net
www.twitter.com/eugenehor

Post a Comment