How to talk to God when you're depressed

5/03/2009 07:40:00 PM / Posted by Mike Landry /


I picked up a number of tips on how to deal with depression as I studied the life of Elijah in chapters 17-20 of the Old Testament book of 1Kings. I also preached about the results of my study on May 3rd in the church I pastor. I thought I’d pass on some of the highlights to you. You may know somebody who could use the encouragement.

HOW TO FALL IN THE HOLE CALLED DEPRESSION:

1. Having unrealistic expectations. (1Kings 18)
2. Living like you are invincible. (1Kings 18)
3. Obsess over criticism. (1Kings 19:1-3)
4. Isolate yourself. (1Kings 19:3)
5. Push yourself to the point of exhaustion. (1Kings 19:4)
6. Keep comparing yourself to others. (1 Kings 19:4)
7. See yourself as a martyr. (1Kings 19:10, 14)
8. Neglect your physical condition. (1Kings 19:5-8)
9. Make poor choices.

HOW TO CLIMB OUT OF THE HOLE CALLED DEPRESSION


1. Take care of your body (eat right, sleep enough, get a physical) (1Kings 19:5-8)
2. Talk to God about your frustrations. (1Kings 19:9-10)
3. Pay attention to what God has to say. (1Kings 19:11-12)
4. Allow your encounter with God to change you. (1Kings 19:13)
5. Begin filtering your thoughts with the truth. (1Kings 19:14, 18)
6. Live proactively with purpose. (1Kings 19:15-16)
7. Cultivate relationships with godly companions. (1Kings 19:21)

HOW TO TALK TO GOD ABOUT YOUR DEPRESSION

“Dear God, You have said that my body belongs to You and that I need to take good care of it. Please help me to balance my schedule so that I get enough rest and eat right. Also, place medical professionals in my life who will help me to thoroughly care for the body that You have so intricately made.

I commit myself to being brutally honest with You. I know that You won’t condemn me for having awful thoughts or feelings. I also commit myself to listening to what ever You have to say and I plan to adjust my thinking and actions to fit in with what You say is true.

I also commit myself to living a proactive, rather than reactive life that includes learning from others who also want to please You. I will now look to you to adjust the way I feel to match my love, commitment, and trust in You.”

Labels: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment