Stressed out? Try reading a book

4/15/2009 12:01:00 AM / Posted by Mike Landry /


I read a recent study that offered some practical tips on how to best relieve stress. I thought you’d be interested in the findings like I was. At the top of the list was simply to read a book.

On March 29, 2009, the Telegraph (UK) reported,

researchers found that stress levels and heart rate showed a 68% reduction in measurable stress after reading from a book. After achieving a high stress level through exercise and mental tests, just six minutes of reading slowed the heart rate and decreased other measures of physical stress in the muscles. Reading reduced stress to levels even lower than the baseline before the high stress was reached.
That’s amazing! But I have to admit that I think they’re on to something. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve curled up with a good book after a stressful day and come up refreshed. Reading a book has a way of distracting me from the things that stress me. In fact, reading renews my perspective and often births in my mind creative options in dealing with the things that cause me stress.

I read all kinds of books - Fiction, nonfiction, mysteries, biographies, histories, self-help, and theological ones. But my favorite book is the Bible. It has a way of burrowing down deep in me and rooting out those things that stress me out. Maybe that’s why the Bible says,
The word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” (Heb 4:12 HCSB)

I don’t need any other studies to tell me that reading, especially reading the Scripture, is a healthy habit. I just need to keep on doing it. If you haven’t tried it yet, give it a shot…you won’t regret it. Wondering where to start? Read through the four gospel accounts in the New Testament. Those four books will introduce you to a character that you won't ever forget.

Oh, by the way, the study also listed some other things that weren’t quite as effective in reducing stress levels but were worth noting:

  • Listening to music reduced levels by 61 per cent.
  • Having a cup of tea or coffee reduced levels by 54 percent.
  • Taking a walk reduced levels by 42 percent
  • Playing video games reduced levels by 21 percent but still left the volunteers with heart rates above their starting point.

Labels: , ,

2 comments:

Comment by JS007 on April 15, 2009 at 9:44 AM

I've learned that not only will reading the Bible reduce my stress, but I have it on CD and I love having someone else read it to me as I follow along. And let's not forget Prayer! I don't know how I would get through my day if I did not stop every once and awhile to pray. Especially when I'm getting stressed out, which seems to be often these days. It's no secret that the concerns of the world and my own selfishness will compete for the top spot on the priority list. These always seem to be the source of my stress. My imagination will get away from me and I start stressing and become fearful about things that haven't even happened yet! Our Lord says,
John 14:27 27 "Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Your heart must not be troubled or fearful.
So often I will forget that our Lord as left us this awesome gift and at least for me, I will have to stop during my day and pray for it.
It always comes, He is always faithful and I aways have an abundance of it through Christ our Lord. But I've learned that sometimes I have to ask for it...in prayer. :) God is so Good to us!

Comment by Mike Landry on April 15, 2009 at 4:46 PM

J. Scott, you are so right on. I think that reading the Scripture and prayer ought always to be intermingled as a conversation between two people. He speaks to us through His Word and we respond to Him through prayer. Thanks for the reminder.

Post a Comment