Jealousy – The Relationship Killer

4/22/2009 08:33:00 PM / Posted by Mike Landry /


My seminary evangelism professor, Oscar Thompson, said the most important word in the English language is “RELATIONSHIP.” I couldn’t agree more.

Unfortunately, relationships are so very fragile and so often taken for granted. And we let the little things that bother us in a relationship become the poison that ultimately can destroy the very relationships we have cherished.

I recently did some research and spoke on the devious and destructive nature of jealousy and how it kills relationships. I talked about the subtleties of how a jealous heart is developed. It was illustrated by the relationship between King Saul and David, the Goliath killer (1 Samuel 17:31-19:1).

I thought some of you who read this blog would be interested in the bottom line of my message – the cure for jealousy.

Rather than go into the dirty details of how jealousy destroys a relationship (you can always go to our church website and listen to the message if you want that), I thought I’d pass on in this blog the prescriptive cure for jealousy. Be sure to notice how the cure has nothing to do with others until you first deal with your own heart and God’s plan for your life.

The Cure for a Jealous Heart

1. Admit you are jealous. Stop pretending you’re not.

James 3:14 (TLB) “And by all means don’t brag about being wise and good if you are bitter and jealous and selfish; that is the worst sort of lie.”

2. Stop comparing yourself to others. You’ve been uniquely designed by God. Start acting like it.

Galatians 6:4 (MSG) “Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don't be impressed with yourself. Don't compare yourself with others.”

3. Thank God for what you already have. Get specific in your gratitude.

1 Thessalonians 5:18 (HCSB) “Give thanks in everything, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”

4. Recommit yourself to God’s plan for YOUR life.

Romans 12:1 (HCSB) “Therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, I urge you to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God; this is your spiritual worship.”

5. Let God to use you to help others succeed. This forces you to reject the goals of a jealous heart.

Galatians 5:13-15 (HCSB) “For you are called to freedom, brothers; only don’t use this freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but serve one another through love.”

6. Trust God with the results. Even if it means someone else gets what you were wanting.

Romans 8:28 (HCSB) “We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God: those who are called according to His purpose.”


How to talk to God about your jealousy:

“Dear God, You have told me that I am uniquely made by you and precious in your sight. I am unworthy to be loved by you but You have chosen to love me anyway. Plus, you proved it by sending Your Son, Jesus Christ, to die for me even when I didn’t care about You. Help me to stop comparing myself to others who are also loved by You. Help me to appreciate their role in teaching me to trust You and to hold all I have with an open hand. Please forgive me for being so possessive of what I have and transform my jealous passions into a willingness to serve others. Also, please teach me to trust You with the results.”

Labels: ,

1 comments:

Anonymous on January 2, 2013 at 10:30 AM

These where the exact words I needed to hear at this exact time in life. I love my best friend, she know all my jealous ways as a late. Due to all the male friends in her past that she say, "those are just friends. There was nothing ever between us" But its tough when these guys text her, calling her baby, saying how much they miss her and tell her I love you. As a man, seeing another man say these will rang alarms. Are relationship goes behind friendship. Hence the Jealous. She is a woman of God, so she said I needed to pray on everything from jealousy to my Financial issues... Im an abusive man and broken on the inside, so reading these words lifted my spirit up. I need to rebuild my heart, she is a great girl. I just needed to find me in the eyes of the lord.
Thanks Mike (4years later)

Post a Comment