Questions People Ask During Turbulent Times #1

4/02/2012 11:27:00 AM / Posted by Mike Landry /


            Tough times raise lots of questions.  Some of the questions are birthed out of frustration, discouragement, and anger.  Does God get upset with us when we feel this way?  Does it bother Him when we, out of our desperation, demand answers?  I don’t think so.  In fact, many of the Psalms contain angry and hopeless cries for answers from God.  I believe many of the Psalms were given to us by God to let us know that He understands us better than we understand ourselves.  Notice the inner turmoil of the psalmist in Psalm 42:5-6

Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall again praise Him For the help of His presence. O my God, my soul is in despair within me; Therefore I remember You from the land of the Jordan And the peaks of Hermon, from Mount Mizar.”     Psalms 42:5-6 (NASB)

            This is the cry of one who is desperate and confused.  The psalmist doesn’t want to feel this way.  In fact he keeps telling himself what to do about it.  His cry seems to indicate he feels guilty for bothering God about it.  But finally his hopelessness and futility prompt him to cry out to God. Just knowing the right answer is not enough.  He needs God.

            God has big shoulders and can handle our frustrations.  He is also not averse to answering our questions.  So be sure to ask Him.  Be prepared though…He may have to prepare you for His answer with some pruning and chiseling first.  This can come in form of temporary silence.  Sometimes we are not yet ready to receive His answer.  It may take some time for you to be ready.

In the next few blog posts I will deal with some of the questions we ask in times of desperation and how God answers.  I hope it helps you as you dig out of those huge turbulent holes that we often fall in.

QUESTIONS to be covered in the next few days:

Why is this happening to me?

How did I get into this mess?

What do I need to watch out for?

What can I count on during turbulent times?

0 comments:

Post a Comment